Even though you are careful, you may occasionally damage your appliances. Dr. Laura Rothe wants our patients to be informed of problems that may occur and understand how to solve them, at least temporarily, until it is possible to return to Skyline Orthodontics and meet with your orthodontist. If you experience an orthodontic emergency in Elkhorn, Nebraska, please do the following things:
- Loose band or bracket: If a band or bracket comes loose from the tooth, call our office for an appointment. While a tight band or bracket actually protects a tooth from decay, a loose band or bracket is extremely dangerous and decay can occur under it very rapidly. If the band or bracket is still attached to a wire, leave it in place and apply wax if there is discomfort. If the band or bracket comes completely out, place it in an envelope and call for an appointment.
- Broken arch wire: If a main arch wire breaks (the one that goes all the way around the outside of your braces), call our office for an emergency appointment.
- Loose wire: Try to place the wire back into the tube. Place wax if there is any discomfort and call for an appointment.
- Poking wire: Sometimes a poking wire can be safely turned down so it no longer causes you discomfort. Try to tuck the wire back in and out of the way with the blunt end of a toothbrush or some other smooth object. You may also try to cut the wire with a fingernail clipper. If you are unable to take care of a poking wire, apply wax and call our office for an appointment.
- Lost tie wire or elastic tie: This is not a real emergency, but please notify an assistant at your next appointment.
- Soreness: Soreness during treatment is to be expected. Warm saltwater rinsing and Advil are helpful in relieving soreness.
- Accidents involving teeth: Contact our office immediately or contact your general dentist.
Please remember that if you are involved in contact sports, a regular mouth guard can be fitted over your braces for added protection. To contact us for emergencies or questions, our office is generally open Monday through Thursday. Emergency time is held open during each day so we can schedule you as soon as possible during normal clinic hours. We set time aside each day just in case of dental emergencies.